Sunday, December 11, 2011

Adopt a Catholic!



Bill Donohue of the Catholic League is asking his members to adopt an atheist in time for Christmas:
If we hurry, these [Atheists] can celebrate Christmas like the rest of us. As an added bonus, they will no longer be looked upon as people who “believe in nothing, stand for nothing and are good for nothing.”


Biologist Greg Laden, in excerpt:
Oh. Bill. It makes me feel bad when you say things like that about me.
I “believe in” quite a few things, at least by my use of the phrase. I believe in my Christian friends, and my Atheist friends, as people, in that I trust them and hold them as important in my life. I stand for many things. I stand for a progressive society, and I stand for making a difference in this world. So, I hope I’m good for something. I feel that my main role in life is to carry out acts that improve the lives of those I love, sometimes by making them laugh, sometimes by helping them stop hurting themselves, sometimes by standing up for them, sometimes by leaving them alone, sometimes by doing stuff for them, sometimes by doing stuff with them so they know they are not alone.
Damn. I suppose that makes me a lousy Atheist.

No comments: