Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Kalamazoo's Radio Goes to the the Darkside


In Kalamazoo we have been blessed with some of the most progressive AM radio during the afternoon drive time on WKZO-AM590. Dave Jaconette entertains us with his mix of news, movie reviews and comment which has always included a balanced and polite repartee between 3pm and 6pm. Unfortunately, the braintrust in charge of programming has cut the last hour of Dave's gabfest to start airing blowhard Glenn Beck from 5pm to 8pm. Feel free to voice your complaint to Jay the program director at jay@kzo.com. Here's my recent missive:

Jay,

Say it ain't so! At first I thought it was static from a fast moving nubula skirting earth's atmosphere, but no... that noise was the shrill meandering mind of some narcissistic right-wing vulgarian polluting my car's interior with bilious puke. Glenn Beck!!?? No freakin' way! It's bad enough I have to quickly flip through from CNN to the Weather Channel in order to avoid this hair-brained nutcase during my dinner hour, now he's on one of my radio's "favorite" buttons during my drive home!?

And where the heck is Dave? There are evenings when the rational intonations of Mr. Jaconette are the only thing keeping me from road-raging some imbecile on I-131. I guess I'll just have to drag my under-50 professional male demographic butt over to NPR where it belongs. I miss Dave already.

I'll NEVER listen to Beck. NEVER!

Signed...


PS: If there were any doubt about the mental instability of Mr. Beck, just view the Youtube video of his stuporous whining about his
"botched surgery." Is this really what Kalamazoo needs?

4 comments:

antipundit said...

Keep fighting, but I fear that it is a losing battle. Either they've done the market research and determined that there is a significant demographic demand for the "Beckerhead", or they are truly dark-spirited and look to indoctrinate more unsuspecting victims w/ his hate-speech.

Marguerite said...

I was so hoping the change was only for a summer week or two. Hope Dave goes out and finds a job where he's appreciated. I really don't understand. There seemed to be plenty of advertising.

They also added an extra hour of Dave Ramsey from noon to one, giving him three hours of afternoon WKZO air time. Yuck. Glad the radio has a dial.

Unknown said...

Dave Jaconette was great, and I hope he lands another job in the Kalamazoo area. Not only was he truly fair and balanced at WKZO, but he was a great interviewer, and allowed a good forum for people across the political spectrum to call in with their views. WKZO has gradually been shifting to the extreme right of the political spectrum. And Glenn Beck, regardless of his political perspective, is mean-spirited, is a name-caller, and has more issues than a big-city magazine rack.

Anonymous said...

WKZO has always been bass-ackward. Remember a few years ago when they fired that guy because he did a story on the Medicare fiasco? I've stopped listening to them altogether. They are a great example of lousy local radio giving in to nationally syndicated junk.